Thursday, March 28, 2013

Little kid bedtime rituals to get stoked for Machu Picchu (as if we need help)

Cam and I have been reading Turn Right at Machu Picchu since last week. We've been taking turns reading chapters aloud, and while it sounds corny, it has been so fun sharing a book together as opposed to our usual TV series-binging or independent activities (Instagram-stalking for me, computer coding for him) before bed.


Adams was a writer at a travel and adventure magazine in New York City before deciding he wanted a real adventure for himself -- a trek through the Incan heartland ending at one of the world's most famous and beautiful archeological wonders.

While we're only about seven chapters in, so far I would definitely recommend the book, as well as the read-aloud activity. I don't think taking turns reading would work well with long or dense books (I'm loving The Fountainhead right now for my independent reading but would dread reading/listening to 700 pages out loud...), but it definitely works for the travel genre, especially if you're reading with your travel companion.

I also think that anything by Bill Bryson would be fun for this activity -- my two favorites are A Walk in the Woods and Neither Here Nor There -- since whenever I read his books I'm laughing out loud so often that I just have to read aloud and share anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment