Friday, February 21, 2014

Stitcher + Airbnb + StoryCorps


I am so upset that I forgot to take pictures last night, though it's usually a good sign when I'm too busy enjoying my company to whip out the ol' iPhone.

Cam and I attended a re-launch party for StoryCorps, a small company devoted to the preservation of stories from the lives of everyday people. Airbnb hosted the event at their beautiful new office downtown; each of the offices is designed to look like the room in a house (get it...) and their event space felt so modern with its high ceiling, exposed stone, and massive sprawl of indoor ivy shaping into the company logo. I had one of those moments, while sipping free beer, talking with interesting people, and eating steak tartare off a tray, where I felt like my naive ideas of twenty-something life as depicted by Sex and the City were actually being realized.

Cam often muses about how telling our grandchildren we lived in San Francisco in the 2010s will be as fascinating as (but happier than...) hearing our grandparents' stories from World War II. The technology, drive, and who's-gonna-make-millions-this-week mentality all contribute to the excitement of being right here, right now. I absolutely felt this energy last night, and it was great to support companies I already love (Airbnb and Stitcher) as well as learn about a company whose mission inspires and incites in me the desire to work harder and be better.

A little on StoryCorps: they started with a booth in Grand Central Station, and now have several throughout the country, including the San Francisco Public Library. Basically, you take a loved one and get 40 minutes to interview them. You keep a copy of the interview and one goes to the Library of Congress, so that the lives of ordinary people are recorded and remain accessible for generations to come. It is so incredible to hear "ordinary" people tell such extraordinary stories. I highly recommend checking out the site (or their podcast on Stitcher), and I can't wait to start interviewing my loved ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment