Thursday, February 20, 2014

Valentine's Day + Birthday


 I hope everyone had a nice Valentine's Day and a relaxing Presidents' Day! After berating Cam all week for not planning something romantic for the long weekend, I discovered I had class on Monday (doesn't that always happen when you're being a brat?). He made us a delicious dinner at home on Friday evening, then Saturday night we stayed at the Claremont Hotel in Berkeley. I don't think I have ever done a staycation before this, but it really was the best! It was so nice to relax all morning Saturday and leave for Berkeley exactly when we felt like it. We got pizza at Cheeseboard, roamed around and envied the undergrads walking to their frat parties and Saturday night haunts, and then settled in with a bottle of red wine, a box of Tagalongs, a bag of gummy bears, and season 2 of House of Cards.

My birthday was on Tuesday and Cam and I ventured back to Berkeley for dinner at Chez Panisse. Dinner was so relaxing, and the food was delicious, but the best part was when the couple next to us got engaged! I had never seen a real-life proposal before, and it was pretty funny because we were in a small room with only four tables, each occupied by couples around our age. The man got down on one knee, and the rest of the room slipped into some pretty stereotypical gender roles -- I was fighting back tears and couldn't stop smiling, and one of the other guys joked with Cam about having their thunder stollen. Anyway, it was beautiful and special and their love and energy was contagious...such a fun birthday treat :).

Thanks to everyone for the calls and texts, it was so wonderful to get to talk to so many of my important people in one day. And a HUGE thanks to Cam for making both days so very special.

Our view from the hotel room: bay + tennis courts + palm trees
Ordering breakfast in bed
On the morning of my birthday, Cam recreated my favorite breakfast from the Ferry Building: lox with lemon slices and tomato 
Treat yo'self: new birthday dinner outfit :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment