Thursday, October 10, 2013

A quick productivity tip


This may seem incredibly obvious but today I used the best trick to keep myself focused as opposed to my usual habit of study for 5 minutes, check Instagram...study for 10 minutes, send a text, etc. I often blame my my iPhone for a serious decrease in productivity (in my pre-laptop/smart phone  high school days I swear I could sit and read for three hours straight) and I was determined to really power through my English literature study guide today.

I sat on the couch, study guide and notecards in tow, phone and laptop on the kitchen island out of reach. I kept a post-it on the arm of the couch and whenever a "pressing" thought would cross my mind -- must text Danielle now! Need to send email to dentist! -- I just jotted them down on the post-it. Instead of the incessant internal dialogue that comes from realizing you need to do something and hoping you won't forget it (should I do it now? No, 5 more minutes. Then I'll forget!), as soon as I jotted it down, I was able to refocus quickly. After an hour and a half of diligent studying, I took my post-it and as my "reward," finished the non-English related tasks I had accumulated. It only took ten minutes to finish my list of tasks, as opposed to the ten minutes that each task would inevitably have taken had I completed them individually, with water and bathroom breaks each time.

Again, probably obvious but it was nice to find my own way to break the smart phone distractions cycle!


No comments:

Post a Comment