Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Live like you're abroad: Jackson, WY


I know that the premise of the Live like you're abroad series is exploring neighborhoods within San Francisco, but I feel like visiting a city just a few states over fits the bill, too. While studying abroad in Barcelona, I looked at it as the perfect opportunity to visit other countries, yet I rarely visit cities "just because" in the U.S. -- I'm usually visiting family or friends.

I've been hanging out with my dad at my parents' house in Salt Lake City, and we decided to take a "just because" weekend trip to Jackson Hole. The drive itself was such an experience...I've always lumped Wyoming into the "random states in the middle of America" category and I was so, so wrong. It is stunningly beautiful with lush farmlands, snow-capped mountains, and wildlife roaming freely. 

We arrived in Jackson Friday night, just in time for live music at the Silver Dollar Saloon at the Wort Hotel, where we were staying. I danced with a friendly cowboy (asking women to dance seemed to be kind of a thing there, I felt like I was transported back to the 1950's), ate bison, and enjoyed some good Teton brewery beer with my dad. Saturday we went on a driving tour of the area surrounding the Grand Tetons, since we couldn't go into the actual park (thanks, Congress!). We ate dinner at Local, a chic, trendy restaurant right on Jackson Square that made you feel like you were in Manhattan, until you noticed the abounding antlers-as-decor. 

We woke up to small snow flurries on Sunday, so it seemed only natural to do a little Christmas shopping before heading back to Utah. It was such a nice change of pace from bustling San Francisco -- I'm already planning a trip back with friends!



Roaming bison 
My dad captured this awesome moose family gathering
Toto, we're not in San Francisco anymore....




Driving home through Idaho

The Grand Tetons

No comments:

Post a Comment