Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Best girls day: Eating locally (and extremely inexpensively) in Suisun Valley


This past weekend, Aly, Olivia and I drove up to our friend Amy's farm in Suisun Valley, about 45 minutes northeast of San Francisco. Visiting Amy's house always makes me want to eat more healthfully and be more environmentally conscious. Their house is gorgeous, and on the property is a vineyard, as well as smaller patches for growing tomatoes, lavender, basil, etc. Amy and her mom are always serving dishes that incorporate all of the fresh food from their and their neighbors' farms.


New for me this visit was a trip to Larry's, a produce market open seasonally just up the street from Amy's house. OK, this is one of those finds that was so good I was texting Cam, taking pictures, and telling all of my coworkers. The amount of produce I purchased would probably have come out to $50 at Whole Foods and it was literally eight dollars at Larry's. $8!!! I can't even buy an individual salad for $8 in San Francisco.


Total price tag on my produce was $8.30

Amy and Aly at the Agua Fresca stand in the back of the market
My new favorite place!
After our trip to Larry's, Amy made us gazpacho, salad, and a frittata using all veggies from her garden. It was quite a healthy and inspiring girls day!
Amy's homemade gazpacho


The walk home from Larry's

No comments:

Post a Comment