Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The pace of modern life



The other day I was staring at the traffic on Mission Street, listening to the cars honking their horns, and I started daydreaming about what the intersection might look like 100 years from now. Will it be empty because everyone is teleporting? The cars will inevitably be sleeker, smaller and certainly more energy efficient, right? Will there be flying cars like in The Jetsons?

It is so fascinating to think of what the generations yet to come will say about how we live in 2013. Funnily enough, soon after my daydream, Cam sent me a comic called The Pace of Modern Life. The comic shows real quotes from the late 19th/early 20th centuries with people reflecting with nostalgia on the "olden days."

I especially liked the excerpt from 1907 in The Journal of Education: "Our modern family gathering, silent around the fire, each individual with his head buried in his favourite magazine, is the somewhat natural outcome of the banishment of colloquy from the school."

I feel like the modern parent would love if the "modern family gathering"  consisted of everyone together reading around the fire...

No comments:

Post a Comment