Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Happy Anniversary, Cam and San Francisco!


A year ago today, Cam joined me in the City by the Bay. We had already been dating for several months, and known each other for several years, but I still felt incredibly nervous leaving work to meet him. I was anxious not only about seeing him for the first time in a month, but in wondering what our new life together would look like (and hoping that dating in the same city would be as magical and romantic as the scenes I had created in my mind while we Skyped from across the country).

Having him here is everything I had hoped for. I know that an "and more" would typically follow, but in reality, I had out-of-this-world expectations for us and it's actually quite shocking and amazing that they've been met.

I hoped to establish a mutual desire to build a life together in San Francisco, and to feel supported as I continued to search for a career in this city. We got drunk in Seattle about a month after he moved here and essentially named all of our future children, so it was nice to not feel delusional on the whole "mutual desire to build a life" thing. Since Cam arrived in San Francisco, he has found a wonderful and motivating job, and encouraged me to leave a job that I hated in the pursuit of a career befitting my talents and interests.

I also hoped that we would do a lot of exploring, and that we have certainly accomplished. From local trips to Marin, Berkeley, Danville, Half Moon Bay, Napa, Tomales Bay, Santa Cruz, Tahoe, Humboldt County and all over San Francisco -- to Seattle, New Orleans, Texas, Utah, New Jersey, New York, and Peru -- we have certainly covered a lot of ground together.

Cam, I'm so happy that we chose each other and San Francisco. Cheers to many more years of hiking in Marin, eating at Yellow Submarine, birthday dinners at Chez Panisse, Saturday morning trips to the Ferry Building, rowing in Stow Lake, celebrating Cinco de Mayo in Dolores Park, listening to our 3 CDs in the Jetta, kayaking in Donner Lake, booking plane tickets we probably shouldn't, and being in love in the best city in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment