Thursday, August 22, 2013

Woody Allen movies


I just bought tickets for Cam and I to see Blue Jasmine in theaters tomorrow night. I can't wait, as we've been talking about seeing it for months, and it's certainly relevant as the main character moves from Manhattan to San Francisco.

I wrote a thesis paper on Vicky Cristina Barcelona in college, and Midnight in Paris is one of my all-time favorite movies, but until a few months ago I hadn't seen any of his older films. There's a movie store by Cam's apartment that is not only organized by genre, but there are is a section categorized by director as well. We watched Annie Hall, Hannah and Her Sisters, and Radio Days all in the same week.

I love his cleverness and wit, and in the more recent films it's almost as fun to watch the background scenery as it is to listen to the dialogue.

The whole purpose of watching a movie is to feel transported, and Allen's films unfailingly do it for me every time (okay, I was really tired when we watched Radio Days but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and hold to my generalization). The past couple of days have been stressful, including a walk home with a homeless man spitting in my face, so I can't wait to be transported again tomorrow night.

Here is a recent interview with Woody Allen and a film trilogy that also never failed to fully captivate my attention.

(Photo of Woody Allen)

No comments:

Post a Comment