Monday, August 12, 2013

Just for fun


In addition to studying (way less than I should be) for the GRE Literature Exam, training for a half marathon, and trying to balance friends and Cam, I've been nannying part-time for an adorable two-year-old named Hartley.

Last week I learned that Hartley had never been to the library, and I decided to take her for the first time. I didn't think much of it as we walked in -- since it's literally 5 feet away from the park and it just seemed natural to venture in after sliding and swinging all morning -- but later I was thinking about how cool it is to introduce a person to the library.

She's been asking to go everyday, and is amazed at the shelves upon shelves of books, the colored rug in the kids' area, and the little tables filled with moms and nannies reading to their little people. It's been so fun to share my love of reading with her, and to share in her excitement when we sit down at our table to read. 

Today I pulled a bunch of Dr. Seuss books, and was reminded of how fun they are, for kids and adults alike (I feel like my brain definitely got a workout trying to read all of the funny rhymes aloud). Here are some important reminders from good ol' Dr. Seuss and his crazy, colorful books...
The Best Dr. Seuss Quotes 

"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you." 

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..."

"The more that you read, the more things that you'll know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."

"Will you succeed? Yes you will indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed."

"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living."

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!" (Hartley loved listening to how many times I stumbled on 'thinks' when I wanted to say 'things'...)

"If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good."

"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."

No comments:

Post a Comment