Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Car-ml or care-uh-mel?


An interesting map study from Business Insider shows how Americans pronounce words differently based on state or region.

I had fun going through each map, particularly since I was raised almost equally on the East and West coasts, with my entire extended family hailing from the South (I was born in Dallas and also spent some time in New Orleans right out of college).

Here were some fun ones for me:

*I pronounce the word crayon "cran" which apparently only happens in a small section of Wisconsin, a state to which I've never been.
*I always feel uncomfortable asking for pecan pie or syrup, because I pronounce them differently than most of my friends. I say pick-AHN and sir-up, both of which are typical Southern pronunciations.
*I love how Louisiana is just dark, dark red for the crawfish question...I can't imagine calling them anything else after my time in NOLA!
*Pennsylvania seems to be the only state that consistently refers to sandwiches as "hoagies" - one of my first college vocab words once I got to Villanova. Louisiana is largely shaded for "other" because they say po-boys. I just say "sandwich" because it's too hard adjusting to a different term each time I move!

....Oh, and for the record, I say car-ml. :)

(Image by Joseph Katz via Business Insider)

No comments:

Post a Comment