Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Reading in style


I dug up this post from my old blog because I just realized I had yet to share the list of classic novels I am trying to finish by 2013 (I'm not doing so well). Hope you enjoy!


My 2012 resolution was to be better about birthdays. Sending cards, calling at midnight, thoughtful gifts. I loved working at that resolution, and I want to continue working on it through out 2013 (and forever, I guess!).


Something I did not succeed in in 2012, however, was challenging myself intellectually. I was so relieved to be back in San Francisco that I found myself  constantly surrendering to my desire to drink lots of wine, go on a ton of long walks, and spend time with friends (which are all wonderful things, but don’t promote a lot of time for reading.). My goal for 2013 is to catch up on the classics I have yet to read. My friend Kelly and I came up with a list of 11 novels, which can be found here on Goodreads, that neither of us have read. So far I finished The Catcher in the Rye (LOVED), The Scarlet Letter (okay), am struggling through All The Pretty Horses, and am enjoying (though moving slowly through) The Fountainhead. Which classics would be on your list?
*Sidenote: If you’re not yet familiar with Goodreads, I discovered it about a year and a half ago while I was still teaching. It is the BEST way to stay up-to-date on recent books, get recommendations from friends (and strangers), and keep track of books I want to read.

P.S. The top picture is from Gilt...Amy sent me the link today and they are doing a sale on some absolutely beautiful book collections from Juniper Books. Wouldn't they make wonderful presents?

No comments:

Post a Comment