Monday, June 10, 2013

Case of the Mondays


I have a serious case of the Mondays today. I felt bummed all afternoon, went to the doctor only to be diagnosed with allergies (I've been taking Claritin D for a month and it's.not.helping!!!!), and am feeling too lethargic to actually do any of the things I know would make me feel better. I know this is kind of a cop-out, but I tried something new to make myself feel better.

Typically, getting out of a funk is all about actively pursuing your exit strategy. Going to the gym, cooking a healthful meal, or catching up with a good friend are all things that usually make me feel better. Today, however, I simply do not have the energy to do any of the above. So, in order to not feel like a total mess and thus end my day badly, I simply set myself up to be more active tomorrow.

I set a phone date with one of my best friends, ordered two books online (one blogging-related and one for pleasure) that I have been meaning to read, and set aside a pile of laundry that I will throw in tomorrow.

I feel like a small weight has been lifted, not in that I feel super productive (I know it's not difficult to send a text and click around for a minute on Amazon...) but in that these simple tasks reminded me that this lazy, sad feeling is temporary. I will be excited to talk to my friend tomorrow, I will be interested in reading my books when they arrive, and completing my laundry will make me feel more organized. Today might be a wash, but as soon as I wake up tomorrow, I will be my normal, happy, productive self.

(video clip from Office Space)

No comments:

Post a Comment