Thursday, June 13, 2013

Travel bug: work exchange

My best friend Amy and I figuring out a map in Rome
Have you ever heard of a work exchange website? My friend Jess sent me this today...basically, you click on a map of the world to where you want to travel, and then explore thousands of posts by local families willing to give you a place to stay in exchange for ~5 hours/day of work.

I was completely intrigued and spent the better half of my morning searching through some of the options that Workaway sponsors. Options ranged from helping a wealthy Barcelona family with their English to living alone on and tending a farm in South Africa, and while some had a definitive time period (i.e. I will be away and need help for the month of July, 2013), others were as easygoing as, "stay anywhere from 2-8 weeks." Can you imagine traveling anywhere in the world and having a free place to stay while your only obligation is gossiping with a cute Spanish mom or riding horses in Africa!?

This got my travel juices flowing and I started desperately scheming ways to justify taking a trip. All hopeful paths lead back to the dead ends that are my boyfriend, job and lease. Sigh. Someday I will satiate you, travel bug. Until then, some travel photos from trips past that are giving me the visceral feeling of longing.




The Trevi Fountain, Rome, Italy

Oktoberfest, Munich, Germany

Prague, Czech Republic

The Saharra Desert, Africa
The Andes Mountains, Peru

No comments:

Post a Comment