Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Holidays without family nearby


Even though I have lived away from my family for the past 7 years (woah), it still sucks to feel like a nomadic orphan on smaller holidays that aren't necessarily worth flying home for (I have yet to do a Thanksgiving or Christmas without my immediate family). 

Cam's in the same boat with his family in New Jersey, so we were so happy when my roommate, Olivia, invited us to Easter brunch with her family in the East Bay. I've known her family since high school so it was great to see everyone, especially her German grandma, Omi, who did NOT enjoy watching the Game of Thrones premiere with us....

To add to my fuzzy, happy feelings of inclusion, one of our oldest family friends, Diane, invited Cam and I to an untraditional, Easter sushi dinner with her family. 

Olivia, Diane, Cam, and I also went on a gorgeous Easter hike at Macedo Ranch -- the gloomy clouds kept the crowds away but we did get poured on...only for a minute, though! 

Thanks to the Beamans and Aftanas' for including Cam and I in your plans -- sure beats a loner holiday brunch in the city :).

Ominous clouds at Macedo Ranch in Danville, CA
Happy hikers

The Easter orphans 




No comments:

Post a Comment